Monday, May 27, 2019

Unit 2B: Blog Post

I am somewhat struggling with what constitutes a digital history project or website. The more I read of Digital History and the more recommended/required websites I look at the better I understand this. I think the root of this issue is that I have spent most of my life with easy access to digital history projects and websites, and I have taken advantage of that. To the point that at least a quarter of what I do when I go online consists of looking at history websites, reading documents, and researching, because of this I am struggling with being sure that any given website 'counts' in this class because many of them seem like 'normal' websites to me. With that said some of the websites mentioned in the textbook

I think that the Mount Vernon website would be an excellent addition to this list. Its various Digital projects include interactive maps, digital archives, digital collections, dynamic videos, archives, and more. These are found in three of the site, one for k-12 teachers that I think has information that would be of interest to anyone. One under the Washington Library which seems to be geared towards adults. And finally one under preservation, which consists of their collections and information about the archaeological work done on site.


Another site that I am not sure would fit but is worth mentioning is, Google Arts and Culture, one of my personal favorite digital history projects is. It has digital exhibits from projects done by many entities. Most of the projects are art and art history but they have a wealth of history projects. One of the things they do is make virtual tours of both museums and historical sites, such as the catacombs. They currently have several interesting collections in conjunction with ford theater