Monday, June 3, 2019

Unit 4

This unit is one where I've learned a lot because I've come into this class not being the most knowledgeable about coding or web design. From Wednesday 5 June until later this month, this class will be the only one I am taking, so my intent is to get myself caught up, which is crucial in an 8-week class, and start working ahead. In addition to trying to work ahead a little bit, I've been thinking about how to go about making my website; and though I haven't made a decision; I think I will probably use Wix, Squarespace, or Google Sites. I feel pretty comfortable with all three of those and despite having never published a website I have played around with all three of them.


Things I Need To-Do or Start Doing By 9 June:

  • Find similar photo gallery type projects to look at so that I can start figuring out exactly what I want my project's website to be like.
  • Create alternative text for each photo so that a screen reader can be used. 
  • Start editing my photos and figure out which ones I took in which cemeteries.
  • Learn how to put a map on my website that would show where the cemeteries are in the county.
  • Refresh my photoshop skills because it's been a little while.
  • Take the time to do the unit 4 extra credit even though it's too late to get the credit so that I can learn from doing it.
  • Look into the grid systems mentioned here.
  • Continue trying to learn about HTML I started playing with and learning about HTML here.
  • I need to pull all of the photos together from my external hard drives and CDs, and I need to scan any of the photos I don't have on discs or my hard drives. When I took a lot of the pictures I'll be going through and using for my project, I was in a film camera phase, so some of my pictures I only have the copy I got from the photo center and the negatives. 
  • I've at least skimmed through everything for unit 4 but there are some things I skimmed that I know I need to re-read and take notes on.


Two Things I Know I Want and Need on my Project Website Are: 

  1. A simple map with pins where the cemeteries are.
  2. A page for each cemetery, with a photo gallery, and information about the cemetery.